Content Disarm & Reconstruct (CDR)
Content Disarm & Reconstruction (CDR) is a cybersecurity technique that is used to sanitize and reconstruct digital files to prevent malicious content from entering an organization’s network. CDR involves removing harmful or unwanted elements from digital files, such as malware, viruses, and embedded scripts, while preserving the original content and formatting. This is accomplished by disarming the file and then reconstructing it into a safe, benign version that can be securely transmitted and stored. CDR is particularly useful for organizations that need to handle large volumes of incoming digital files, such as email attachments, office documents, and multimedia files, as it provides a proactive way to prevent cyber attacks and other security incidents.
- DocBleach is a free and open-source Content Disarm & Reconstruction (CDR) tool that specializes in sanitizing and reconstructing Microsoft Office documents. The tool can detect and remove malicious content from Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files, including embedded macros, scripts, and other types of malicious code. DocBleach also ensures that the original formatting and content of the document is preserved, making it possible to safely transmit and store the file without risking any security incidents.
- ExeFilter is a CDR tool that focuses on disarming and reconstructing executable files, such as .exe and .dll files. The tool can detect and remove malicious code, such as malware and viruses, from these types of files, and then reconstruct them into a safe and benign version. ExeFilter is especially useful for organizations that handle large volumes of executable files, as it provides a proactive way to protect against cyber attacks and other security incidents.
- CIRCLean is a CDR tool that is specifically designed for use with email attachments and other types of digital files that are commonly transmitted over the internet. The tool can detect and remove malicious content from a wide range of file types, including office documents, multimedia files, and executable files. CIRCLean also provides detailed reports on the status of each file, making it easy to track the progress of CDR operations and assess the level of security that is being provided.
- ClamAV is a free and open-source antivirus software that provides comprehensive protection against malware, viruses, and other security threats. It uses a combination of signature-based and behavioral-based analysis to detect and neutralize malicious content in digital files. ClamAV is particularly effective for organizations that handle a large volume of email attachments and other digital files, as it can scan files in real-time and detect threats before they cause harm.
- Oletools is a collection of open-source tools that can be used to analyze and dissect Microsoft Office files to identify and neutralize potential security threats. It provides a range of tools for analyzing OLE2 files, such as macros, embedded objects, and other potential security risks. Oletools is a highly effective tool for organizations that rely on Microsoft Office files as part of their daily operations.
- LibreOffice is a free and open-source office productivity suite that provides a range of tools for creating and editing office documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. It includes security features, such as macro protection and digital signature validation, that help to prevent malicious content from entering an organization’s network. LibreOffice is an excellent alternative to commercial office suites and provides organizations with a cost-effective solution for managing and securing their digital files.